Balancing Breakfast 05/28/20
Last week I introduced the Plate Method as a strategy you can use to rebalance your meals. It sounds easy enough, but then you wake up in the morning and stare at your refrigerator. Where do I start?
Luckily, you have a nutrition coach (me!). Here to help you how to take some of these strategies and then apply them to your own lifestyle.
So let’s quickly review some key points for improving your nutrition that I have shared with you in the past few weeks.
1. Eat whole foods as much as possible. Do this by doing the majority of your grocery shopping in the perimeter of the grocery store.
2. Eat a balanced diet that is mostly made up of vegetables, lean proteins and healthy fats.
This week I’ll focus on some tips to help you balance the first meal of the day - Breakfast!
This is a great time to start to really look at our nutrition. Changing what we eat can have a big impact on our health. Learning how to reshape your plate will take time, but eventually it will be second nature. For now, take a fresh approach to this meal and try one of these tips to help eat to support your body!
Plate Method Intro. 05/21/20
Improving your nutrition doesn’t often require a complete overhaul. While you might be tempted to change EVERYTHING at once, I suggest tackling one action at a time. Take at least two weeks focusing on that habit before changing something else. As the saying goes, small changes over time lead to big results!
One of the easiest ways to eat healthier is to re-balance the food on your plate. I use The Plate Method to help my clients visualize how to portion out their food. It is extremely effective because you can incorporate your favorite foods!
Here is The Plate Method in 4 easy to follow steps:
1. Make ½ of your plate non-starchy vegetables.
2. Make ¼ of your plate lean protein.
3. Make ¼ of your plate complex carbohydrates.
4. Add in a healthy plant based source of fat.
If you were most surprised to read step #3, you are not alone! Changing the portion of our complex carbohydrates is the biggest change for most people when they follow this strategy for balancing their meals.
Try the Plate Method for a few weeks and reflect on how you feel!
If you are looking for help evaluating your food choices, and mapping out a plan to success, send me an email. I would love to help you lead a healthy lifestyle! Jessica@crossfitrenaissance.com
Committed to your success,
Nutrition Coach, CrossFit Renaissance
Reduce Stress and Move Toward Health 04/23/20
Believe it or not, April is actually Stress Awareness Month. And as we all navigate the changes in our lives and the weight of uncertainty, many of us are experiencing the effects of stress more than ever right now.
On a Stress.org list, “10 Step Stress Solution”, the first action step is “Prioritize your Health”. We can’t control a lot right now, but a great way to reduce stress is to work on what IS in our control - our own actions.
In my first blog post, Getting Started with Healthy Living, I outlined these 6 Key Factors to living a healthier lifestyle.
Eat Whole Foods
Balance Your Plate
Get Some Rest
The next step is to pick ONE and work on implementing it into your life. You don’t have to do an overhaul right now; that would add more stress to your life! Pick one to focus on and then keep doing it. Day after day. Be mindful of the process. When is it hard? How do you feel? What helped you keep up with it? Writing this stuff down helps you keep track of it and evaluate what works and what doesn’t.
Make yourself accountable to that action step! Tell a friend, or family member. Better yet, encourage them to do it with you!
Taking control of our health is just one way to start reducing our stress. Not only will the step itself move you closer to health, but you will gain the knowledge that you are capable of doing it! And that’s a great feeling!
You can make the changes necessary to improve your health - so start with one action step today!.
If you want help putting together an individual plan, or you have a question, please reach out to me! I am here to help you reduce stress and move toward health!
Committed to your success,
Getting Started With Healthy Living 03/26/20
With so many elements of our lives changing right now, let’s focus on what we can control: staying as consistent as possible with nutrition, activity level, sleep and stress management.
Figuring out where to start can be one of the biggest challenges people face when they decide to live a healthier lifestyle. There is endless information at our fingertips, and it can easily cause us to do nothing at all!
Our goal is to make healthy living as easy to understand as possible, so you can get started making better choices today! Here are 6 Keys to getting started with Healthy Living!
1) EAT WHOLE FOODS - I get asked countless times a week what foods are the healthiest. I recommend doing as much of your food shopping as possible from the perimeter of the grocery store. Why? Think about what you pass as you walk around the outside aisle of our IGA. Vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, the meat department, the fish and seafood counter, and finally dairy aisle with milk, yogurts, cheese and eggs. These foods typically contain less added sugars, less additives. Eating more of those foods, and less foods that are packaged and processed is a great step toward heath. Stay tuned for upcoming posts on how to stock your freezer, fridge and pantry!
2) BALANCE YOUR PLATE - Getting a combination of proteins, carbohydrates and fats is important to get your body working at its best! A really simple way to do this is to use The Plate Method. Fill half of your plate with vegetables, a quarter of your plate with protein, and a quarter of your plate with a starch. By choosing to eat these components in a balanced way, our experience is that people can make this a sustainable change!
3)STAY HYDRATED - Avoid drinks with calories and shoot for 80 ounces of water per day.
4) GET MOVING! Break a sweat at least 3 times per week for 30 minutes. Track your steps, find a video on YouTube, or join a class. CrossFit Renaissance, located right off of Castor Avenue in Port Richmond, is more than just a CrossFit gym. Check out one of our awesome programs - Personal Training, Bootcamp, Youth and of course CrossFit! We train all ability levels and customize workouts to meet individual abilities and goals. We also specialize in online/virtual training so you can train at your own home or even on the road if you travel frequently! Click here to get more information on how we are training clients from home! You can do the intro at our physical location or virtually through an app called zoom! Either way just reach out and we will help you from there!
5) BUILD YOUR STRENGTH - Lift Weights or perform bodyweight movements such as push-ups, squats, and burpees! It is always a good idea to train with a professional who can make sure you are doing the movements correctly, efficiently and, most importantly, SAFELY. Contact us if you need help getting started with your Strength routine.
6) GET SOME REST - Sleep is an essential component of a healthy lifestyle. “Scientists have gone to great lengths to fully understand sleep's benefits. In studies of humans and other animals, they have discovered that sleep plays a critical role in immune function, metabolism, memory, learning, and other vital functions.” Beyond the role sleep plays in how we function physically, it can also help us stay positive and committed to making changes in our lives.
In order to better support our community as our lives change due to the CoronaVirus, we have launched the Facebook group: Stay Healthy Philadelphia. There you will find more information about nutrition, fitness, and motivation to get started living a healthy life! Join us today by searching for the group on Facebook!
Committed to your success,
Nutrition Coach, Renaissance Nutrition
Footnote: “Benefits of Sleep.” Benefits of Sleep | Healthy Sleep, healthysleep.med.harvard.edu/healthy/matters/benefits-of-sleep.
Hi! I’m Jessica Thomas, a nutrition coach for Renaissance Nutrition at CrossFit Renaissance. I am thrilled to be joining forces with The Richmond Shops IGA to lead our community to better health!
Have you ever tried to change your nutrition or start a fitness routine, and then fall off after a few weeks because it was too much work? Or maybe you don’t even know how to start because there seems to be so much conflicting information out there?
At Renaissance Nutrition, we believe something as fundamental as nutrition shouldn’t be complicated. Through this partnership, our goal is provide easy-to-understand information, practical tips, recipes and more to help make living a healthy and active lifestyle a little easier!
Look for me in store at the Richmond Shops IGA. I will be there Sunday March 8th from 11-3. I look forward to meeting you and talking to you more about nutrition
Committed to your success,
TheRichmondShops.com IGA & Richmond Bottle Shop
2497 Aramingo Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19125, USA
Your IGA Hours:
Mon-Sat: 9am to 9pm
Sunday: 9am- 9pm
Bottle Shop Hours:
Mon-Thurs: 9am- 8:30pm
Friday: 9am- 8:30pm
Saturday: 9am- 8:30pm
Sunday: 9am- 8:30pm
Copyright The Richmond Shops IGA & Richmond Bottle Shop. All rights reserved.