Getting Started With Healthy Living 03/26/20
With so many elements of our lives changing right now, let’s focus on what we can control: staying as consistent as possible with nutrition, activity level, sleep and stress management.
Figuring out where to start can be one of the biggest challenges people face when they decide to live a healthier lifestyle. There is endless information at our fingertips, and it can easily cause us to do nothing at all!
Our goal is to make healthy living as easy to understand as possible, so you can get started making better choices today! Here are 6 Keys to getting started with Healthy Living!
1) EAT WHOLE FOODS - I get asked countless times a week what foods are the healthiest. I recommend doing as much of your food shopping as possible from the perimeter of the grocery store. Why? Think about what you pass as you walk around the outside aisle of our IGA. Vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, the meat department, the fish and seafood counter, and finally dairy aisle with milk, yogurts, cheese and eggs. These foods typically contain less added sugars, less additives. Eating more of those foods, and less foods that are packaged and processed is a great step toward heath. Stay tuned for upcoming posts on how to stock your freezer, fridge and pantry!
2) BALANCE YOUR PLATE - Getting a combination of proteins, carbohydrates and fats is important to get your body working at its best! A really simple way to do this is to use The Plate Method. Fill half of your plate with vegetables, a quarter of your plate with protein, and a quarter of your plate with a starch. By choosing to eat these components in a balanced way, our experience is that people can make this a sustainable change!
3)STAY HYDRATED - Avoid drinks with calories and shoot for 80 ounces of water per day.
4) GET MOVING! Break a sweat at least 3 times per week for 30 minutes. Track your steps, find a video on YouTube, or join a class. CrossFit Renaissance, located right off of Castor Avenue in Port Richmond, is more than just a CrossFit gym. Check out one of our awesome programs - Personal Training, Bootcamp, Youth and of course CrossFit! We train all ability levels and customize workouts to meet individual abilities and goals. We also specialize in online/virtual training so you can train at your own home or even on the road if you travel frequently! Click here to get more information on how we are training clients from home! You can do the intro at our physical location or virtually through an app called zoom! Either way just reach out and we will help you from there!
5) BUILD YOUR STRENGTH - Lift Weights or perform bodyweight movements such as push-ups, squats, and burpees! It is always a good idea to train with a professional who can make sure you are doing the movements correctly, efficiently and, most importantly, SAFELY. Contact us if you need help getting started with your Strength routine.
6) GET SOME REST - Sleep is an essential component of a healthy lifestyle. “Scientists have gone to great lengths to fully understand sleep's benefits. In studies of humans and other animals, they have discovered that sleep plays a critical role in immune function, metabolism, memory, learning, and other vital functions.” Beyond the role sleep plays in how we function physically, it can also help us stay positive and committed to making changes in our lives.
In order to better support our community as our lives change due to the CoronaVirus, we have launched the Facebook group: Stay Healthy Philadelphia. There you will find more information about nutrition, fitness, and motivation to get started living a healthy life! Join us today by searching for the group on Facebook!
Committed to your success,
Nutrition Coach, Renaissance Nutrition
Footnote: “Benefits of Sleep.” Benefits of Sleep | Healthy Sleep, healthysleep.med.harvard.edu/healthy/matters/benefits-of-sleep.
Hi! I’m Jessica Thomas, a nutrition coach for Renaissance Nutrition at CrossFit Renaissance. I am thrilled to be joining forces with The Richmond Shops IGA to lead our community to better health!
Have you ever tried to change your nutrition or start a fitness routine, and then fall off after a few weeks because it was too much work? Or maybe you don’t even know how to start because there seems to be so much conflicting information out there?
At Renaissance Nutrition, we believe something as fundamental as nutrition shouldn’t be complicated. Through this partnership, our goal is provide easy-to-understand information, practical tips, recipes and more to help make living a healthy and active lifestyle a little easier!
Look for me in store at the Richmond Shops IGA. I will be there Sunday March 8th from 11-3. I look forward to meeting you and talking to you more about nutrition
Committed to your success,
TheRichmondShops.com IGA & Richmond Bottle Shop
2497 Aramingo Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19125, USA
Your IGA Hours:
Mon-Sat: 9am to 9pm
Sunday: 9am- 9pm
Bottle Shop Hours:
Mon-Thurs: 9am- 8:30pm
Friday: 9am- 8:30pm
Saturday: 9am- 8:30pm
Sunday: 9am- 8:30pm
Copyright The Richmond Shops IGA & Richmond Bottle Shop. All rights reserved.